It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-05-07

Software Packaging
I setup software for distribution on the network. Sometimes we run into issues. imagine that. There is an email below that I just couldn't bring myself to send to some one asking about an error that said "you must be administrator to install software" on an XP machine.
----
I'm not going to contact the vendor. I'm going to repackage the software. Here is why. First I will send the message to the vendor. The vendor will tell us it's our fault for not being administrator on the system. I will tell the vendor that we are administrators on our local machines, but the user name "administrator" is basically disabled on the new 2003 systems and has been replaced with "[####]". This doesn't matter really, because every user at [my company] is a member of the administrator group (more or less) on the local machine. I will explain to the vendor that I can bypass the setup.exe and the software will install without trouble on some machines for some people. It will take me a week to convince them that there is a setting in the packaging system they used that will allow them to fix the problem and I will have to do the research to find the setting and tell them how to do it. Six weeks later we might get a patch. I will spend some time today to repackage the software and bypass the vendor's setup.exe.
---
After several hours of mucking around with the software I still can't get it to work. I will in the end. Something will work. This stupid thing just keeps coming up with new errors at every turn. It shall succumb.

Evil Genius
I'm an Evil Genius.
Take the test yourself and let me know what kind of villain you are. I was searching for something completely unrelated on google when I stumbled across this site. This is the kind of thing that the internet really needs. People with a good idea presenting it to millions. I will be in the corner practicing my best mad scientist cackle.
Oh, no, not every one is an evil genius. Just us brilliant ones. :-)


What Type of Villain are You?
mutedfaith.com / <º>

No comments: