It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-05-25

Flying Cars
There is an article on MSNBC that touts flying cars for the masses. Hey, that's great, but until they fix the drunk driving problem in this country, I'm against the idea 100%. Just imagine sitting at home and a flying car with a drunk at the stick manages to screw up the safety system and crash the flying machine into an entire block of homes starting a fire. Now, imagine on Sunday morning at about 2:15 am 1 in 3 vehicles have a drunk at the controls.
If the automated system they speak of in this article works out, it will be a boom for me. I may not be able to drive a car on the ground, but there is no reason I couldn't fly one in the air. That is a nice prospect. I'll start saving now. I wander how much the fuel and maintenance will cost.
The author of the article above should have found a more interesting “Critic” than they did. This guy just sounds like an old nay-saying fuddy-duddy.

Adds on the Web
I'm sitting here on a Sunday afternoon blocking sites. I'm editing my hosts file to block the more obnoxious pop up adds. Editing the host file works on all communication with the current computer regardless browser. In Windows 2000/XP your hosts file (no extension) is in <c:\Windows\system32\etc\hosts>. There should be some instructions at the top on how to maintain the file. Use IP address 127.0.0.1 for sites you don't want to show up on your computer. That IP address is a local “loopback”. In other words, if the host name isn't on your local computer, it will not show up. Pretty nifty.
Mozilla has nice feature that allows you to right click on an image and “block images from this server”. Be careful with that one. I saw some normal pictures disappear too. I'll live. Even better is an “unblock images from this server” for those desperate premature clicks.
I use a program called Ad-Aware. The latest version is pretty limited. I'm looking for a good replacement. This program searches your whole system for known spyware. There are already some spyware programs that disable the cleaning programs like Ad-Aware. That's a drag.

No comments: