It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-08-28

Testing of Google Docs


I want to use Google Docs to store my copy of my blog entries. This is a quick test of things that I do every time I use documents. I know most of them will probably work in the Google Docs editor, but this is a test of how much of this will survive to the Blogger environment.

This is a test of ctrl enter to remove space after a paragraph.
Works in Google Docs.

The default page settings are changeable now. This means I can reduce the acre of margin to something manageable. I can put some space after the paragraphs, which is what it looks like on my blog more or less.
  • Bullets 1
    • Bullets 1.5 (worked hitting tab)
  • Bullets 2
  • Bullets 3
There only appears to be “Normal Text” style. I haven’t found a way to make, for example “Code” style, which I need to make things work in my technical universe. I’ll keep looking.
Spelling works, but no hot keys. Can’t find a way to remove bad custom words. That could be bad.
No way to get rid of page breaks it seems. Though, the separation is unobtrusive. There is a simple line between pages. That will work if it is consistent.
Embedding does not work. Will have to do embedding code separately. No big deal to be honest.
No way to do an HTML preview of anything.
Headers and footers are a bit clunky. I don’t typically use them for my needs.
Looks like the editors are identical in Linux and windows.
Lets find out how editing on one computer and the changes showing up on another computer that still has the document open works. ... I didn’t have to reload the document or anything. The moment I killed the screen saver, the changes had beaten me from one desk to the other. As a matter of fact, I could just leave the doc on multiple machines and run back and forth without much effort. Have to remember that.
The highlight color is too light. I could use something with more contrast. They appear to be copying Microsoft or Apple on the just change the shade and not the color hilight front. The underline for the spelling is of the same level of too light to see half the time. Too bad for me.
After a quick test of pasting the contents of this and the other entries for today in to the blogger editor, I noticed the text spacing and other things are messed up. That doesn’t matter if I’m honest. The editor has always sucked on Blogger’s system. The styles of the template you use are applied after you hit post. If that editor was much better, I wouldn’t need to find an editor for my posts.
Test for blockquote (emulation)
This is a test quote.
From some link somewhere

Finally found the column width setting. Looks workable to me as long as the copy and paste works properly.
Table for vlog entries
FieldData
TitleThis is a test title
DescriptionThis is a test description.
* Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/zhsy00001
* Blog http://plastickelly.blogspot.com
* YouTube RSS http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/zhsy00001/uploads
TagsThese are test tags vlog vlogging yadda
LinkLink

I have to say that the table above looks exactly the way I want it on the Google Docs screen. The real test will of course be the Blogger paste. I’ll have to put together a seed document for tables and blockquotes and such for the blog. Note: I can’t use bullets in the above description section because that is the format YouTube wants for bullets to show up properly in their interface.
This just might work. I’m sure there are issues that will piss me off. This interface has many shortcomings. It is miles better than it was a couple years ago. I think it is finally something that will work for me.

No comments: