It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-12-03

Comments

Kelly, I must say that you really struggled to get a plain system to work. I took the fc6 dvd, went through the install, and where it gave me the install or update, I chose the latter. Worked just fine.

Consider that with the newer technologies such as multi-core, xen, etc. that complexities are going to expand by a power of two.
As example, when there was 100 interactions, then we had to look at 100 by 100 possibilities of bugs (10000).
When we introduce xen or multi=core, and that number goes to 200 by 200, then we are at 40,000 possible interactions.
Can we generate code that can handle systems that are expanding in complexity?

That power of 2 example gives credence to your comment that we should separate 64bit systems from 32 bit systems, anywhere where we can generate isolated islands of logic with few interfaces. That concept, is similar to the one door in and one door out philosophy.

Yes, I do not know what I'm doing. I agree. I'm 37 years old and It seem like am the little kid learning the basics. I understand how complexities beget complexities. Computer technology is expanding like a bacterium. Pretty soon you are going to call a psychiatrist in stead of tech support when you have a problem with you computer.
The reason I'm going through all this is because I'm supposed to be the yum guru at work. That is kind of why I was hired. So, even if there is an easier way, I need to learn the yum methods and problems that pop up. If I were updating computers at work, I would use the DVD. It really does seem to go more smoothly. I'm not sure why except there must be some specific code somewhere to check for and fix specific problems that occur upon upgrade.
So, what is the deal with all the programs that still don't work?
# Acroread gives me a syntax error. I've tried everything. Nothing works.
    Fixed with This link. Why they can't get it right in the first place is baffling. Frigging corporations just don't care.
# JAlbum does nothing. It is Java, so you think it would have survived the upgrade.
    Fixed by reinstalling and reinstalling JDK.
# JPilot gives an error. I don't use it any more anyway.
    Doubt I'm going to run it any time soon.
I'm sure I'll complain more in the future.

No comments: