It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-01-19

Dead video editor

Starting about Sunday or so, Kdenlive, my preferred video editing software on Linux, has been dead on my desktop. I realized it was an update that did it and stopped my laptop from updating. I've tried other software for video editing. They all stink to high heaven. I may have an entry explaining all the issues with each. I thought Kdenlive was a piece of junk. I had another think coming.

This is the bug stopping me in my tracks on ubuntu Kdenlive rendering on my desktop. The details say the rendering issues only occurs on some AMD processors. I believe my laptop at the house has an Intel. I'll have to double check. The laptop at work has an Intel Core2 Duo, but experiences the same issue. So, I have no idea what is going on. The latest entry on the bug is 2012-01-16. At least someone is looking at it.

I cannot tell if the issue only happens on old AMD processors. It turns out my new-ish desktop has an outdated CPU. I thought I was buying a middle of the road CPU, but no. I was buying a processor that may not be supported in the next release of the Ubuntu OS. Much less supported by all the programs that people use. That is a drag. I may have to look in to a new processor or system board upgrade.

I've tried to install from source. I've tried other binary installs. I looked in to using a virtual machine installs. Everything has issues. I was already using the PPA (Personal Package Archive) version of Kdenlive. That is for developers and has warnings all over the place that normal users should not use it. It is the only thing that works in Ubuntu 11.10 so I don't know what they expect people to do. This repository points to the proper libraries supposedly. I think I've tried most everything a normal user can. The next step is to fix the Kdenlive program. I'm not that good or dedicated.

The thought occurs that this problem may not get fixed to my satisfaction. If it is indeed only happening on obsolete chips the resources will be focused on other issues. This is a disturbing thought. I'm sure I'll complain about the outcome on my blog either way.

No comments: