It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-09-23

Walking Stick

I bought a walking stick at REI a couple months ago. It works pretty well. i use it every day. I don't so much need it for limping, but stumbling. I use it for balance across all the rough ground I traverse on my way in to work. I use the stick so much that the steel tip is warring down. There are heavy scuff marks on the tubes where the locking mechanism digs in when the stick is extended. it telescopes for storage. I carry it on my back pack. I would rather have it in my hand when getting around the bus because I'm afraid of poking someone with that metal tip.

I've only had the staff since Spring. It will probably not last a year. I'm going to have to come up with another solution at some point. I worry this thing will not give me any warning before just plane failing.

As Winter quickly approaches, I will need to use my flashlight to flag my position to cars. This will prevent me from using the walking stick I bet. I haven't tried it yet. Maybe they work together. The flashlight idea works great to prevent my being run over by half asleep commuters.

A walking stick is not fashionable.  I'm sure I look like an old man stumbling down the street. This morning my knees hurt for some unknown reason. That added to my normal stumble which is worse in late Summer and Fall. Then there is the uneven ground of the construction area and unkept roadside. Not to mention the mosquitoes trying to carry me off. I worry people think I'm a kook wondering around off my medication.

No comments: