It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-09-09

Sushi

The term Sushi has come up more recently than in my memory. People have mentioned sushi off and on over the years, but it has been in the background noise. Now, I hear an NPR story about blue fin tuna vs Japan. Then I hear a story from someone at work about a buddy of his getting stuck in a Korean Tuna net and having to use a crane to lift them out. Then a guy has sushi for lunch. Nat calls me asking where to get some cheap sushi for the afternoon.

I don't mind fake American sushi. I'm not much on eating anything that is not cooked. Some fish is healthier than others. Maybe there is a vast sushi conspiracy to get Americans to eat more fish. I thought the oceans were over fished as it is.

I did not know until that NPR story that sushi was not popular in Japan until refrigeration became popular in the 1950s. Before that only fisherman ate raw fish. The rest might be salted or smoked right on the boat to store it until they made port. I never put two and two together until that story. Fish have to be put straight on ice to be used for sushi.

Some people view sushi as some kind of special thing. It is still regarded as a delicacy. I hate to say it, but it has gone beyond main stream. I'm surprised you can't get it in a drive through if I'm honest. I've heard of people spending a couple hundred bucks on for or so people at a sushi place. I hope that is the real thing.

... I want sushi.

No comments: