It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-09-12

Preparing still (Ike)

You would think that you get prepared and then sit there and wait for the hurricane to go over. No. Nat is running around the house like a good boyscout still thinking of more stuff to do. I love her.

Elle is concerned that the hurricane will turn the lights off in her room. Forget the rest of the house. I worry she will be freaked out about the storm later. She does not handle storms well sometimes. Poor little thing. I remember myself not a whole lot older than her freaking out about storms and flooding. I suppose it is natural.

Every channel is spewing information about people who did not evacuate. That or there is video of the sea wall or flooded streets in Galveston. Every person left in lower east Texas has been interviewed.

When i was fourteen I remember Alysia and playing in that horrible flood water. I have this picture stuck in my head of a flooded street in front of our house on Cherry Hills and the son just poking out. The street was lit up underneath the rancid water. It was clear air. The clouds reflected in the water. I played in the smelly water. My parents let me. We pushed people out of the deep water when their cars stalled. It was a neighborhood boys thing.

I have the weather radar in one tab and the updated forecast in another in Firefox. The radar makes the storm look a lot farther away than it is. The forecast just looks drawn, not real.

Channel 11 is simulcasting on a couple of radio stations. I'm glad because we do not have a batteries powered TV. Nor do they make a digital batteries powered TV to my knowledge. I'm not sure what they will say to do next year when there is no analog TV left.  Not long after they throw the switch on TV, they will want to switch to digital radio. I'm not sure they make many batteries powered digital (HD) radio.

It is just now 14:00 and some clouds are passing darkly and frighteningly over head. People are starting to get nerves. The bad stuff comes. It starts quietly. It builds. Then it subsides.

No comments: