It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2008-09-24

Blog Woes

What is this blog buying me? I thought about it and I spend a lot of time tapping away on this page. I get no money. There is no prestige. My friends don't really read that much. I have maybe five pretty consistent readers. Maybe Elle can read this one day and learn a bit about her "Kelly Daddy". In fact, there is a far higher likelihood that something I say on this blog will get me fired or beaten up or indicted.

I get a sense of satisfaction from this blog that I just don't get anywhere else. I gripe and moan. No one comes to my rescue. That's fine. That isn't what the blog is about. It is a place to vent a little. It is a place to shout from the rooftop. It is my soapbox. It keeps me from ranting so much to my friends. It is a place to ask "What do you think of that?" or "Who do they think they are?" It is a place to prey publicly. It is a place praise publicly. it is a place to make fun of others. It is a place to kick a rock down the road.

It is a place to announce happenings. It is a place to bounce ideas. It is a place to toot my own horn. It is a place to be depressed. it is a place to keep track of some of the random crap that buzzes around my head. That is a  big one. Some of the things that just pass by are pretty good. Normally, they would vanish in the firmament. My passing ideas may just end up here.

I would love to write something real. I mean a novel or other book. There is no one subject that I know enough about to fill enough pages for a book I think. I cannot keep my head on one subject long enough to write a novel. When I write short stories, the turn in to rants before the end. That or they have no middle part. I would write poetry, but it is mostly horrible and incoherent.

I quote news or other people a bit. This is so I can rip them a new asshole or say "me too". I've had a couple people say they do not even pay any attention to these sections. The folks I talk to say they want to know what is going on in my life, not what is going around the world. Then again, one says he gets his news through the Kelly-filter. Poor guy.

I put a lot of videos up now. It is a neat way to point and grunt at some content. Lately, the bar raised a bit. I don't just put three or four videos on the blog just because I can. I used to.

This blog is more than a diary. It is a communication device.  A diary is not supposed to be written with the intention of being read real time by others. A blog is designed for that.  This is a subtle, but very important distinction. My parents nearly bought me a laptop because I kept ranting about which one I wanted at the time. I didn't let them. dammit.

Sometimes it seems like the sound and tactile feel of pounding on the keyboard and filling the screen with text are the goal. This may have some merit. There is a small sense of accomplishment in just getting data down on the page/screen. There is more to this blog than leaving some footprints on the world wide web, I hope.

So, why do I care when I get six hits in a day? If I have this blog and keep it up to date for all the above reasons, why do I have a mechanism for counting eyes?

No comments: