It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-09-25

MiniView KVM = POS

<begin rant>

A KVM is a device that allows one to use two computers at the same time without having to have two complete different sets of equipment. KVM stands for Keyboard Video Mouse.

When I first got another computer put on my desk for web editing, I also got a hand-me-down KVM. It says MiniView on the front. It feels like cheep plastic. It is the old style PS/2 inputs. It is a four way KVM. That sounds cool. It would be if the damn thing worked.

It was not long after I started using the new computer that I discovered the mouse started just sitting there sometimes. It was sort of random, but it would definitely happen within about five minutes of using the mouse. It didn't have anything to do with the screen saver. I swapped the wires. I tried different ports. I tried everything. Nothing made it work consistently. The only way to fix the trouble was to unplug the mouse and plug it back in. That was a drag. So, I plugged a mouse in to both computers and just gave in to using two, swapping as needed.

It was not long after this that I discovered that the keyboard did the same thing. It would just stop responding at some point. It just took a bit longer for the keyboard to show symptoms. I went through most of the same iterations of wires and software, and came to the same solution. I have two keyboards and just use the one that is appropriate.

At this pint I started using remote desktop to use the computer sitting on my desk. The delay and video problems it causes are nothing compared to the agony of an aching wrist and soar back trying to use the second mouse and keyboard.

Well, today I had to reboot the box and it just wouldn't switch to the monitor. I mean, the monitor stayed black with a blinking power light. That means the monitor has no signal input. You have got to be frigging kidding me. No amount of plug swapped or pounding on the keyboard would make a difference.

I have spent more time fucking with this thing than a top of the line KVM could possibly cost. I am not going to go buy one. So, I'm just using remote desktop and swapping the video cable when I need to do something straight on the computer. It might as well be in a lab somewhere. I give up.

So, why don't I ask for another one? that is another rant.

<end rant>

No comments: