It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-04-24

Learning
I'm starting to figure out that it really is up to the student to learn something as apposed to the teacher teaching something. I suppose there are arguments that say it takes both. I think the student must be willing and deliberately intend to walk away from the experience with something new. The only other ways of teaching are to coral someone in to a corner where they must perform or suffer some kind of downward consequence.  I just haven't noticed the reward model working when it comes to knowledge transfer. The best way to get someone to pass a test is to guaranty humiliation if they do not.
Weight Watchers works by parading people over a scale and shouting out numbers in front of a crowd.
This is why I'm a terrible teacher. I am impatient. I hate repeating myself. I can't wait for it to sink in. I have poor communication skills. I don't sense when someone is lost.

No comments: