It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-12-04

Old and New
My father still works for my old company. I am still in touch with some of the folks over there. I worked in the engineering department.
This company has taken upon itself to outsource it's engineering department. This company also doesn't pay well. The "boom" is back on and people are leaving for far greener pastures. Some of the leads have left for 60% raises elsewhere. All any one has to do is read the financial pages to know this huge international company is working to open a 1000+ person engineering division in India. They are also trying to duplicate their U.S. holdings (chemical plants eta al) in Saudi Arabia. Who would want to join this effort unless you are just in it for a temporary position? I can't put in links without just plane giving away the company name. I'm trying to avoid that. I'm sure I've given enough evidence, but you have to perform due diligence on your own if you want to know.
The person in charge of the engineering and construction has a hard-on for outsourcing to India. There is no budget to higher new people with any experience in the existing engineering department. At least, not at market demand. They have some newbie folks, but that won't get a plant built. Every other day I hear about people retiring or bailing. I think the head of engineering is setting up the U. S. engineering department for failure so the overseas engineering department will look good if it accomplishes anything.
I've worked in a minor capacity with some folks from India and a couple other Middle East nations. I've noticed something. Most of them have been raised to believe that not only does family come first, but family is all that matters. If you don't have the family connections, you will not get anywhere in their society. Europe used to be the same way. Many people who came to America were trying to escape their family's fate, not their nations fate. The end result of this kind of thinking is if what you want out of someone does not directly affect their family, you just might not get it. It also results in people who think their family is better than another family will not work with each other. I'm told the same sort of class situation comes from how many or what kind of degree you have. People from different disciplines  will not cooperate with each other because of a virtual degree based class system. That's no good for a modern work place.
I've read about this kind of thing happening in modern academics all over the world. This fact and a few other things make it sound to me like folks in the Middle East and elsewhere want to run a business a bit like a university. That frightens me. I know that universities have a hard time getting anything done that isn't based on a couple of individuals who take charge and run with the ball.
I'm so glad I don't work there any more. I do not have a degree and would never make it in that kind of society. If I had stayed any longer, I would have been sucked in to the temporary raises and other short term incentives for people to stay. Then the ship would have sunk out from under me.

No comments: