It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-12-09

MP3 Player
I remember blogging about my MP3 player troubles before. It was locking during boot. Well, I brought it in to work today in order to use it as a portable hard drive. While looking at the file system I noticed it said 3.8 gigabytes of space was still taken up even after most everything was removed from the partition (It has multiple Linux partitions). I poked around and noticed the trash folder had some files in it. I tried to remove them and one gave me a fit. I finally got it off the drive and now my MP3 players boots up and seems to work again.
How messed up is this? I have to know OS and FS configurations and typical problems and solutions in order to keep my MP3 player functioning. That is just wrong. I shouldn't have to diagnose my gadgets. The real problem is the Linux GUI file manager. When I removed a bunch of files in the past, one of them got messed up in the .Trash.user folder and was producing an error when the boot sequence tried to empty the trash, or thought it was an MP3 and tired to get info out of it. Next time I go to remove files from this MP3 player, I'll use the command line where I'll know what the hell is going on when things happen.
Oh, well. It looks like I have an MP3 player again.

No comments: