It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-05-28

Pointless Ranting
I hate it when I drink a pot of coffee on a slow Sunday afternoon, have the time to blog and cannot find anything to rant about.  Below are some good targets that, though worthy of a good lashing, don't do it for me.
# William Jefferson
# People spend their lives finding the bad guys and no one seems to care.
# Hitler liked the Palestinians. Palestinians like Hitler.
# The MSM is so bias against the military and the current government (US and Britain) that when they do screw up, I don't believe it by default.
# I do not get Veteran's Day off. That is ironic considering I work for a proud Marine.
# Sony just doesn't get it. How have they remained such a prosperous company when they make catastrophic blunders like betamax and Blue-Ray? They insist on using the new IBM Cell Processor. I think that is a waist of money. The Intel chips would do just as good a job. IBM, Sony, and  Toshiba have dumped a ton of money down that hole with the intent of using it in the game machine. Basically, the IBM Cell Processor is the old tried and true 64 bit version of the PPC chip with eight separate math co-processors built in all running at 32 bit. Each co-processor/ cores has dedicated RAM, not cache, RAM. When someone sits down and writes code specifically to take advantage of this design, it will work pretty quickly on specific math. It will not make sending email go any faster, but some 3D rendering and ray-tracing will perk up. I've heard it has bandwidth trouble. An analogy is if you gave every one Ferraris, traffic jams would still not go away. This chip may suffer the same fate. It is fast. I don't think it will blow the market away like some people think. I'm glad to see the PPC chip making headway. It is a good design.
Well, that almost developed into a rant, not quite. I'm wondering, but isn't that what Sunday afternoons are for?

No comments: