It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-04-08

Linux Sucks
I'm really starting to think that Linux sucks. Just recently, I tried to upgrade from Fedora Core 4 to Fedora Core 5. The upgrade appeared to go smoothly at first. Very soon, I figured out that most of the things that came with OS worked pretty well except yum. Yum didn't work. That is, it kept trying to upgrade some package that was not compatible with the kernel that was on the machine. At least, that is what I discerned from the cryptic error messages. So, there I am with a machine that won't install or upgrade anything. Every thing I had installed was suddenly missing libraries. I gave up for one day and came to the decision that I would just restart from scratch.
I tried to install from scratch, but It turns out my media was corrupt. I downloaded the DVD image from a non Red Hat torrent site and it was missing some part of gcc. It must not have been an issue during the upgrade because I received no error then. So, I boot Ubuntu and downloaded a DVD image via the official Fedora site. The first messed up DVD passed the media check and so did the second. Well, it worked finally.
Now I'm busy putting the whole system back together. They took out the "everything" button on the install list. Now, you have to go in and install everything by clicking on a million little boxes. That is annoying. The one thing I still cannot get to work is the accessibility stuff. I depend on the reader pretty hard and I can't get it to work. Well, not yet anyway. Wish me luck.

No comments: