It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2006-02-02

Update below

Cartoons and WW III

Have you heard about cartoon-gate? What happened is a Danish news paper published some satirical and yes, offensive, cartoons of Mohamed, the Profit of Islam. Now, it is really bad news to say anything about Mohamed that isn't along the "hell of a profit" line. Muslims get quite cross, freedom of speech be damned. It sounds like we have hit an impasse that the jihadis and western culture will not let pass.
Points
Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of the following points.
* Freedom of speech is a fundamental principle of western civilization. Without it we all live in East Moscow circa 1959.
* Killing any who speaks out against, or even saying anything bad about Mohamed is a fundamental principle of Islam. Without it, they are Mormons.
* There have already been death threats and bomb threats over this matter. (see links below)
Commentary
There has been a great deal to-do about a paper that published the drawings in Denmark. Then, a French paper showed support by publishing them as well. I have not heard about any U. S. papers following suit. I have found far too many blogs publishing the cartoons.
I hate to say it, but I'm going to laugh if WW III starts over cartoons in a Danish paper. Then I will, of course, weep over the loss of peace and all the killing and such. But, before that, I will give my best throw-head-back-roaring-belly-laugh!
Links
Great commentary :
Red Hot Cupa Politics
Good links :
Exit Zero
The cartoons :
Wikipedia

Update
Michelle Malkin has a good post.

1 comment:

FrauBudgie said...

Yes, the irony kind of smacks you between the eyes ... and thanks for the link!