It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-08-09

Question
Why am I so cheap?
When I was a kid, I found out that I was like a month away from being born in California. I was born in Kansas. California was far more interesting than Kansas, so I was upset. My dad explained to me that it would have cost $2000 to have me in California. That is compared to about $300 in Kansas. I used this rationalization to make myself feel better about my birthplace. It stuck.

Goddammit!!!!
So, my new video camera came in. I try plugging it in to the computer and nothing. I mean nothing. It is not recognized. I go round and round. I try it at different computers. I take it to a buddy of mine who uses video cameras all the time. He says "Woh, man. Something is wrong." He did lend me a tape. Anyway, I hop on the Canon web page and dig around. I read how to connect the damn thing. Well, get this. It has a USB port. That USB port, my connectivity of choice by the way, is only for the crappy digital pictures this thing takes. You need a FireWire (IEEE-1394) to transfer videos. i went back and looked at the advertisements all over the place and it only says "has USB". BASTARDS!!!  Extra expense. Extra loss of time. Learning experience.

Kids Smoking
I now help take care of a two year old child. I'm telling you, she mimics everything Nat and I do. Nat didn't cuss the whole time she was pregnant or the first two years. Now, one or two slip by. Elle picks them right up. Elle doesn't miss much. She can spot a balloon floating two counties away. I told her yesterday that if a doctor ever tells me she needs glasses I'm calling them a lier. This leads me to an important observation. If adults don't want children to smoke, then, adults shouldn't smoke. That makes so much sense when you say it. It is one of those things that is hard to do. Do as I say not as I do.
You have what adults say teaching kids one thing and what adults do teaching them something else. How does this help evolution? You have two conflicting methods of learning. What do you get when you have conflict? You get competition. What usually happens in competition? The best wins most often over time. So, there is some reason for it. When it comes down to nature vs nurture, it takes both.

No comments: