It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-08-18

Gaza
So, what is going on in Gaza?
I'm listening to the BBC as I type. The military is "evacuating" some synagog.  I hear the protesters in the background chanting protest songs. I hear loudspeakers preaching for the protesters to leave peacefully. The person reporting says he has not spoken to any one who is protesting who is from the settlement where they are protesting. These people have sneaked in just to make trouble.
The interviews with people who live there that I have seen all say they don't want to leave because they have put down roots. I've heard some interviews with folks that say the regular Israelis think the settlers are a bunch of "spoiled brats" who don't pay the same taxes. They were paid to go to the settlement in the first place. Now, they are paid to leave.
So, The regular Israelis are split over the subject. The settlers do not want to leave their homes. The regular Palestinians want a homeland. The radical Palestinians (among others) want Israel pushed into the sea.
It all sounds like an amazing scrum.
I have to say that the actions of the Israeli Military are exemplary as far as I can tell. They head up to a house ,unarmed, knock on the door and wait for the door to be answered. When protesters simply refuse to leave, they are carried out by the arms and legs to a bus. There have been reports of violence. There have been shots fired between entities unknown. The video is heartbreaking. The military is using an overwhelming numbers method of keeping violence down. Some of the photos  show ten military personnel on one protester carrying them to a bus.

No comments: