It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-07-12

No Phones in Tunnels

Cell phone service was disabled inside the four tunnels leading into Manhattan after the terrorist bombings in London, but Mayor Michael Bloomberg questioned Monday whether the move "makes the most sense."
Cell phones have been used to detonate explosives in Madrid and elsewhere.
But cutting off cell service in tunnels beneath the Hudson and East rivers means drivers can't dial 911 in an emergency.

What was all this the government keeps saying about not letting the terrorists change our daily lives? Why not close the borders? Why not search all foreign nationals at the door? Why not go door to door looking for suspects? Read the while article and it appears to be a miscommunication.

Relationship Stuff
I should know by now to keep my mouth shut. Over the last couple of nights Elle has slept in our bed with Nat. Nat thought this was because after watching Dark Water Friday night, I would want she and Elle to have that special time together before Elle leaves for Georgia Tomorrow. Well, I was doing it because Nat was feeling bad with a tooth ache and I didn't want to make Elle cry (Elle cries when I put her to bed, that is just the way it is.) and cause Nat stress on top of the tooth ache.
This is no big deal. We simply had the same goal and different motivations. I wish I had read Nat's mind. Now I feel she is disappointed in my decision. As much as I dislike second guessing decisions, I know that this is part of "he-ing and she-ing" as my dad put it. I have had little experience in the area. Hopefully, I'll learn fast, and not dive Nat too crazy.

Town Blog
My friend Suzanne asked me if I would post her town newspaper, that she puts together, to the internet. I recommended a blog for the town. You can put pictures up and everything is free until you get a boat load of hits. I have not yet heard back on her thoughts.
She wants what every one wants when they start publishing this stuff. She wants to write everything up in Word and print it to the internet. That is what Adobe meant to do with the whole Acrobat PDF format. (PDF stands for Portable Document Format). If Adobe had it's way, you would surf from one PDF to another, all licensed by Adobe. Thank goodness that didn't happen. The internet would have ground to a halt.
I hope she likes the idea. I think it is the best solution to her need. I will link to what ever she decides is the best way to convey her information.

Learning
What have the terrorists learned from the attack in London. Well, they have learned several things.
* Brits are tough. (Stiff upper lip and all that.)
People are getting back to their lives partly in defiance of the terror and partly because people just feel the attacks were inevitable.
* Liberals will always condemn their own people more than the people who attack them.
Many people want to change their culture to appease the people who attacked them. This is giving in, but they don't seem to care.
* Politicians will try to use the attack to their advantage instantly and without regret.
The same day, the opposition was on the offensive saying their should be investigations into failure to detect the attack and so on.
* Britain is not Spain.
People keep comparing the attack to those in Spain a year or so ago. Spain had days of morning and pulled out of Iraq. Spain are a bunch of pansies. What do you expect?
* Londoners have been exposed to terror from the Nazis, IRA and now Al Qaeda. It has been done.
London is one of those cities with a very rich past. In other words, people have wanted to conquer it for a long time. It is still writing chapters in that book.
* No one is going to compete with the death of Diana.
The whole nation turned out to morn Diana. Her death was sudden and unexpected. People loved her. People missed her. There was no real enemy to hate when she died.
* Attacks underground make poor photo opportunities.
What a foul-up. Spain trains run above ground. The images were all over TV for days. This time all we saw was one buss in tatters, and people climbing out of the underground. Some news sources had to run footage from people's mobile phones for God's sake. I'm sure the terrorists are kicking themselves over that one.
Dammit! I had another great point that I forgot.

To-Do
This has been on my work white board since last Friday.
whiteboard toto

No comments: