It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-02-23

Floods in California
This is an airport in California that has lost a good portion of it's runway to the flooding. A river washed away the bank and ate the supporting land away.
Santa Paula Air Port Runway
The photo below is an in flight photo of the airport before the damage. I don't know how long these links will last. If you look closely, the water flow of that river seems to be pointing straight at the spot where the erosion happened. In other words the river just tried to straighten out the curve. I cannot figure out which way the river flows. It looks from the above picture like the water flows from top Right to lower left in the below picture (based on the ripples).
Before picture of airport
I get a kick out of aerial photography. Below is a 1995 snap of a friend's apartment complex. Click for a larger view. It is a 1995 photo from TerraServer.
Apartment Complex

Work
I've asked recently to be added to another project at my day job. I'm not giving up the old tasks. This project is one of the big pushes for the future. I feel stuck on a bunch of legacy stuff that is all slated to disappear. Though, they have been pushing back the dates for years. No biggie. That sort of thing happens all the time. I want to be prepared for the next thing. It will be nice getting back into some "real" programming  At least, it is more "real" than what I have been doing.
This is in the Engineering field. The trouble is, all of engineering is leaving the U. S. I should have gone into sales, or marketing, or plumbing. I'm not sure who will have a job in this country in 50 years. Doctors are being outsourced to India. Hell, they are experimenting with outsourcing order taking at fast food restaurants. I have to say, I went to Wendie's today and the lady taking my order didn't speak a word of English that wasn't printed on the top of the register. I would welcome someone in India who speaks better English Telecommuting to take my order. I wonder in what country I will have to live in order to find work in the U. S.

Yoga
I've been looking into yoga lately. I've downloaded some example videos. Between that and what is online, I bet I can figure things out. If I do it in my living room, I don't have to ware "tights" in front of anyone. That really is the only thing stopping me from taking a class. If I can't do it in jeans, I don't do it in front of anyone I'm not having sex with.
Here are Anna's comments on a yoga experience.

[random conversation that ends up here]
Anna: I herniated my disk in yoga
Me: What is the name of that maneuver?
Anna: The one where your standing with your feet shoulder distance apart and you bend over and your left hand touches your right foot with your right arm extended straight up to the sky.
Me: "pop" ... "ouch" ... "uh-oh"
Anna: More like strain, huh, wonder what that was.  guess I pulled a muscle.  wonder why it still hurts two weeks later.  wonder why it's even worse a month after that.  huh, now I can't feel my toes.  An MRI?  Is that where you get shoved into a culvert and x rays are taken?  scary.  hello Mr. Neurosurgeon.  how soon can I get released after surgery?

I need to be careful. Trust me, I'm taking it very slow. I've only don't that one move where you warm up so far. I know some one who teaches classes. She says the whole point is not to rush things. Get in to a rhythm of doing it every day or so before you worry about what routines you follow.
I know a person who assumed yoga was all a cult thing. Some people call yoga a religion. I call those people misdirected. Yoga makes you feel good. That is allot more than some people get from religion. I have direction, so I do not fear ill guidance.

2 comments:

CyndyMW said...

I know that pose that Anna was doing.

Hey, I have tons of Yoga DVDs you can borrow and copy. You'll just loooooove Denise Austin. And you don't have to wear tights. Get yourself into shorts and a t-shirt and you'll be fine. And no shoes. I can just picture you in a hunting shirt, jeans, steel toed boots and a hat, wondering why it's hard to do the poses in that gear.

Celtic Gypsy said...

A friend's apartment complex?