It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-02-11

Day
I got to work. I did some work. I left work. I got home at like 11:30 (half day), now I'm typing in my blog.
I'm on my way to watch Jen Rathbun in a little bit. Hopefully I'm going out to lunch with some friends tomorrow and then I'm off to play some low stakes poker in the evening.

Anime
Ghost in the Shell Screenshot
I've had people ask me what is up with Anime. Why do people like it. It is just a cartoon after all. Well, look at the screenshot below and tell me that looks like any of the American cartoons you have ever seen. The Japanese respect the genera and put forth effort to make it good. Each series is on it's own. This series is based on the "Ghost in the Shell" movies. The detail is wonderful. They fact that they use sunshine in the animation takes my breath away. Most of the time when you mention Anime people think of those cutesy big-eyed flicks, or Pokemon. Not I. I think of "Ghost in the Shell" and "Princess Mononoky".
It is not the painstaking attention to detail. It is not the amazing depth and broad spectrum of shadows. It is the fact that some one in Japan wants to make this Anime and, more importantly, people in Japan want to watch it. This is just one series. The cutesy stuff has a niche too. It is the depth of the market that makes good Anime. Not the depth of color or character.

No comments: