It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-03-04

Who cares what ten year olds think?
Five Live (BBC) had a show on this morning, their afternoon, that went into what ten year olds worry about and do for fun. They had interviews with a bunch of kids and they all said they worry about world peace and the environment and crap like that. People wrote in, via email and phone text message, how great these kids sound and that they have hope for the future. What about the zit they obsessed over for a week a couple of months ago? What about what their friend heard a rival say last Tuesday? The teachers wouldn't bring along a delinquent to the radio. If you want to know what what ten year olds are worried about, ten year olds are the last ones you ask. Find out what they spend time doing. Listen to what they complain about. Pay attention to their spending habits.

Information Protection
In the UK a guy named Ian Huntley (
BBC story) killed two ten year old girls and tried to dispose of their bodies at a school. He worked at the school as some sort of janitor. It turns out he had several run-ins with the law of a sexual nature and the police had not kept his information (BBC story) because they thought they were supposed to get rid of information after a period of time due to information protection acts.
Let me tell you, the British people are re-considering the protection of people's information after this. It turns out no one had told the police how to comply with the law properly. They should have kept some of the information along the way even with the laws in place. The trouble is, police were afraid of infringing on some one's rights. When the school attempted to run a background check, there was nothing in the record that would prevent Ian from working so close to children. Every one I've heard from has said this could have been prevented.
I'm quite torn about my information. I want companies to lay off selling my information to each other. I want the government to be careful and make sure there are checks and balances in place to protect me from misuse of my information. I want my rights protected. I want people like this guy caught and put away.

No comments: