It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-03-02

Spring
It sprinkled on my commute in this morning. It was a pleasant rain. The drops were so small they felt like snowflakes and disappeared the instant they touched anything. It was before dawn and yet the roads were thick with people in their cars. It's funny, I'm the only one on foot most of the time. Some people jog through the neighborhood I pass on my way to work. There are others on the bus, but not like the cars. There must be a hundred cars just on my short commute.

Something I learned today
Working two jobs is like trying to juggle oiled epileptic octopi.

Guest author
This is from my buddy Adam in response to a post yesterday called LOTR.
<Adam>
Some bits of info: Tolkien hated allegories (he states as much in his introduction to The Lord of the Rings). No one in his stories is supposed to be someone from real life. That said, certain philosophies do make its way into the story. Clearly the ending of the books shows that the "everyman" in the novels was not Frodo, but instead, Samwise the gardener; after all Sam is the one that ends the story going home to his wife and kids. I think that Tolkien wanted to demonstrate that greatness is not something that you are born with or destined to do, it just happens. People of character respond well in times of duress. Another theme that runs rampant is industrialization versus nature. Tolkien grew up in a time where it appeared that industrialized society would destroy his British homeland. His books reflect that. Lastly, the fact that all the Middle-earth nations desperately attempted not to go to war parallels both WWI and WWII where Europe and others were slow to rouse when threatened.

Man, can I go on about that story. I am such a nerd.
</Adam>

No comments: