It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2004-03-06

Chameleon Card
Slash Dot has an article on this little device called a Chameleon Card that mimics all your cards. It can remember your credit cards (all magnetic cards), bar codes and RFID devices. I want to focus on the RFID functionality for a moment. We use RFID of some kind at my day job to get in the building and access security stuff. This Chameleon Card, as far as I can tell, has the ability to copy the RFID in the security cards just by holding the handheld device close to the RFID and hitting record. That means I can catch some one at lunch, or talking in the hall and hit the record button from inside my pocket and record the CEO's magic code to let me in to high security arias. Now, there are other security measures to prevent this kind of shenanigans. The Chameleon Card just seems to make it easy to bypass one of the most basic and first line defenses.

No comments: