It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-09-27

STOL

Short Take Off Landing. Maybe it is Short Takeoff Or Landing. Not sure to be honest.

It is all fun and games until someone plants a prop. Most of these are basically ultralights. I am amazed by the real planes, multiple passenger planes, that take off in 30m. I am terrified of hellicopters so planes that do the trick please me.

I found this on live leak, but they have a site just for this competition.

My fascination with slow flying and landing may stem from my childhood. There was a show on TV that showed a bird landing in a tree in slow motion. The wings flared out (flaps) and the bird nosed up. The bird's talons (raptor) reached out wide forward while their tail flared as well and fought for control. All this happened right at the moment of stall. When played in regular speed, it just looked like a bird landing on a limb. Once you cought it in slow motion with a comentator describing the effort and skill, it held me fixated.

No comments: