It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-04-04

Spotify

I'm trying Spotify. It hooks in to your Facebook account. This is how you log in and how you find music. You can browse your friend's music lists. They can do the same to yours. I looked and only about two dozen out of the nearly 200 people have accounts and only about half of those really use it. Most of my friends have shit taste in music.

I didn't try Spotify several months ago because they didn't have a reliable Linux client. They have an unsupported Linux client now that at least functions on my work Ubuntu 11.10 laptop. Now, I will allow myself to try the Windows client as well. I refuse to subscribe to something that I just feel should have a frigging web page and nothing else. There is no reason they couldn't just make this a complex web page. It must boil down to DRM and nothing else. They don't want people to have access to the stream in a form they might be able to save without their service.

Trying it out. I have yet to dig through my friend's accounts for new music. Oh, I've looked, I haven't listened. I killed the playback so I could run around and look at related artists. I have no idea how to make things show up as in my library or stared or however you get back to the music you like. They have play lists, but that is not perfect. I want a vast tub of titles that I have approved and it just plays on random and lets me skip like mad.

I heard Spotify wants to charge for the service. As it is, you have to pay for mobile access. Computer access is still free (cost of your demographics and friend's lists) to use. They want $10 a month. Screw that. I just don't have it. Now that I've joined on the free version and listened to a total of one song, they will want to sell out, lock it down and start suing their customers. Mark my words.

No comments: