It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-02-18

Kdenlive build script

So, I realized that I never blogged the location of the Kdenlive build script. I have to use this script because the Kdenlive that comes with Ubuntu 11.10 is broken. The Kdenlive that you can get that is already built doesn't work with the libraries that come with Ubuntu 11.10 either. So we have to build the whole mess from code.

Go to this page and follow the instructions there. The script has been fixed as of the typing of this blog post. For a while one of the libraries had been moved and you had to modify one of the lines of the script to make it download properly.

This script does a couple things. It downloads the latest stable builds of all the libraries and of Kdenlive to a temp folder. It then builds them all against each other in that folder. It then puts the built packages under /home/<user name>/kdenlive/<date>. You can run the program from there. I suggest making a script and putting it in your path. I also recomend removing any other versions of Kdenlive you might have lying around except other versions created by this script.

That is one of the good things about this method of running Kdenlive. I can try a new one to find out if it fixes one of the problems I'm having without blowing the old version away. This kind of thing is difficult with built software repos. Once you try to revert anything the repos get upset and downright nasty.

I also have to go to /usr/bin and make a link for milt back to whatever version of kdenlive was just built. I'm not sure if this causes any troubles down the road with other libraries. This is a bug in kdenlive. Not sure when it will get fixed.

This is a PPA link I forget what PPA stands for. It is a private development code source that is somehow official. The first time you run though these instructions, you have to do some kind of key swap. The instructions are at the link, but not user friendly. This is normal these days. This way someone can't use the link as their own and you are far less likely to run in to malicious code. So don't complain too much.

This link is as for my own use as much as any one who reads the blog. I lucked out and found it again today on my first try. It also built on the first try because I had already gone through the trouble of setting up the key swap.

Have fun.

No comments: