It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-09-27

Bus screwup

I road past my bus stop this morning. I heard the names of the streets as we passed them, but they did not register in my mind. There were other tings on my mind. It turns out I had not paid my phone bill and had no mobile phone this morning. That distracted me enough to prevent me from getting off at the correct stop.

Normally, I get off right before the toll road. This mooring we cruised right passed it. Something I hate is when you hear the name of the street announced by the robot and immediately pull the cord, but it is already too late. Some days it is off by a great deal. This morning it was just enough to miss that stop and wind up on the other side.

Of course, I was a bit disoriented and had to ask the bus driver where the toll road was. I got off and started the half mile walk back to my office. I had to cross the toll road at Westheimer. It is easier to cross the toll road than Westheimer. You only have to deal with one direction of traffic at a time while traversing the toll road. With Westheimer, you have cars coming at you from all directions with unpredictable intentions.

I survived. The flashlight helped. It is very bright. I was able to tell people my intentions by waving the flashlight beam in my intended direction. This works well particularly for people turning right. They are looking Left for oncoming traffic, and not in the direction they intend to gas it. The flashlight kept me in their field of view.

I still managed to walk in the door at 07:01. How freaking early would I have been if I hadn't missed my stop? Sheesh.

No comments: