It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-08-09

Wireless and work

I've blogged about having a laptop from my mother. I blogged about having to mess with the wireless stuff to get it working. I've blogged about wanting a way to listen to online radio at work and using my phone instead of a computer and prefering it because I can also use it for commuting. I've blogged about one of the guys getting a $300 netbook or webbook or whatever they are called this week.

We had a consultant come through a couple weeks ago at work. She said two things about our company. We do a good job writing drivers and she has never seen another company in our industry with a time clock. That is important because it establishes a mentality. We do not have internet at our desks because it is a distraction. There are internet stations throughout the building where people can do research. That's great, but I can't help but think, over all, we would be more productive with internet access at our desks. There are times I try to figure out things through secondary means like manual pages and emailing other people before I will just go Google it. Googling turns up answers with amazing consistency and nearly instantaneously. It makes me feel like it was not worth the walk to one of the kiosks.

I'm not the only one who feels this way. Nothing will change in the foreseeable future. I don't have a problem with the lack of change. I just want to make sure the universe knows my opinion. That is what blogs are all about.

No comments: