It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2009-08-22

Saturday so far

I'm waiting on the lawn guy to show up. He needed tires on his truck.

Last night, I walked out of work around 18:30 and this really scary cloud was just north of the building. I mean it looked like something out of a B scifi movie. I made it on the bus just in time and Nat picked me up at CVS in the pouring rain. She told me the power had flickered a couple times already.

When we got home, the power came on just long enough for the garage door to start moving and then stop. I had to hand crank the thing open and closed. Elle had gone over to my parents earlier Friday. We heard later that she was all about going to the park and didn't fear the large evil cloud that my parents seemed so concerned with.

We ended up walking to "Off the Hook" restaurant across the street and hanging out with the folks who work there. they had just made a big batch of crayfish and were upset, naturally, that the power outage meant they could not sell them. Some buddies came over and ate their weight in the mud-bugs. My father calls them 'bait' by the way. They had one little safety light in the back that was blinking like it was going to die any minute. I gave the loan of my Maglite when needed, but the emergency light seemed to keep on trucking as long as needed.

I stood out in the parking lot and watched the lightening. There were several layers of clouds all moving in different directions. This meant there were different flows of air and different charges in those layers. I saw some of the coolest pink, blue and green lightening displays. There were zaps that ran just slow enough to follow with the tilt of the had and eye from one horizon to the other and around in circles over our heads. Chains lept from one layer of clouds to another and back over what must have been miles in the sky. At one point I waved my hat hand cheered.

The power blinked on for two minutes. There was a buzz noise, then we were back in the dark. It was just long enough to switch off the 'open' sign in front of the store.

We ended up going over to my parent's place to sleep in the AC. We found out later that the electricity came on before many went to bed. I learned that Firefox on Windows sucks because many things just don't work that should. My father has some kind of pop-up program running. Not sure what was going on with that but it scared me. So glad I do not use Windows.

No comments: