It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-11-26

Upgrade

So, I'm upgrading both boxes to Fedora 8. I didn't even know it came out until night before last. While looking for information that might help my notebook woes, I found out that my primary OS had a major upgrade.

As I type the RPM system is breaking it's back making sure all the software on the system is the proper version.

I tried to use the DVD to do the upgrade but the install hung on a circular dependency. That is A required B and B required A and the line never ended. The GUI upgrade just showed a progress bar. I could only tell the system had not completely locked up. I had to sit and watch the list of dependencies rocket up the screen and recognize the pattern repeating itself in order to catch that there was something wrong.

Uninstalling several offending packages and disabling a couple of repositories seemed to help. I should have written down the changes I had to make to the system to get things work. Things will simply have to find their way back on the system as needed I guess.

It wasn't that long ago for the last upgrade. I'm not sure, but it seems like it was only about 8 months since the last major version of Fedora. From what I can tell the changes are not that vast. I think they are just promising upgrades every so often and cranking them out. I wonder where they got that idea.

Wish me luck.

No comments: