It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-11-19

Thanks Giving

I called my parents. They are visiting relatives at the moment. My mother passed around the phone. Now, they are in the car headed for a flea market of some kind. My uncle Ron had that long distance phone conversation tone. I don't know how to describe it. People used to get this tone when talking long distance. I've done it myself. It is a "what I'm saying better be important because this phone call is costing someone money" kind of tone. My mother and I might as well have been across the street. I hadn't heard that in a while.

I must admit I envy them going to a small store on a Monday. I don't care if it is because all but one of them is retired. I am so looking forward to the time when I'm retired and blogging all the time. Blogs will be passe by then. The new thing will be community cyber connections. I"m probably going to be too old fashioned for that sort of thing. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Oh, ya, Thanksgiving.

I still don't know what we are doing for Thanksgiving. Our options are:

  • Camping at Faire. It seems like no one else who is at our normal camp will be there though.
  • Our own Thanksgiving. Sounds like a lot of work to me. Nat wants to cook, so she might enjoy making the meal for the family.
  • Eating at a friend's place. This sounds like the best bet to me. I haven't had a chance to run it by Nat yet. She wants to cook, so maybe we can bring something.

There may be even more options that I cannot think of at the moment.

I got a couple of texts from my mother yesterday. They were at uncle Jacks place. It is a ranch of sorts. "I get to shoot goats in the butt with a bebe gun. and ride a four wheeler. I'm happy." Then I get "Jack has a dog named Mouser, She brings the eggs in from the chicken coop and lays them on the mat at the back door." Those are scary to get from your mum while she is on the road.

If we decide to do the Faire thing I envision a lot of sitting around and shivering. It is to get cold over the T-day break. It will be wet and none of the normal folks will show up. I can only speculate that there will be fewer folks inside the faire too. I predict a lower than normal turnout. TRF just isn't what I think of when I think Thanksgiving weekend.

If we do the cook yourself thing I have a feeling that no one will sit down and eat at the same time. I predict lots of snoring and watching of TV. Not a bad combo, but not what Nat expects.

If we do the Adam and Laurie thing, we will have kid's table. Adam and I spoke of this earlier and it seemed to hit a cord that we would have a kid's table. We both felt like parents for a moment. It was strangely pleasant for a couple of dads talking about having a kid's table at Thanksgiving dinner. (I'm grinning ear to ear and tearing up typing that statement.) I picture Elle and the other kids  giggling and making a mess on the table. I feel all parent like.

No comments: