It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-11-26

Printers Suck

Let me start off by saying all printers suck at this point. Not in their print quality. That is top notch. No, they all suck because they have become a cash cow of big corporations that use them as a staple income. It has come to the point where ink-jet replacement ink is worth $5200 an oz. Note: I'm pulling that number out of my ass. There have been times people have bought new printers on sale because it was cheaper than replacing the ink cartridges. At least the cartridges are the majority of the failures of the printer. When you replace the ink in most ink-jet printers, you are replacing the print head and most of the complex stuff.

Laser printers are complex, hot, messy expensive hogs. They much electricity and supplies. The one in my office has a bad cleaner brush. This means it makes dark prints with a constant spear all down one side that makes every print offal. It is useless for anything other than proofreading or instructions, for which I rarely use a printer these days.

We have a working printer at the house. We got it because we needed a fax machine. It was cheaper to get a scan/fax/printer thing. I'm not sure we ever even used the fax. It copies too. What a great way to waist print cartridges. This printer is HP. It seems like HP is one of the more expensive replacements.

I heard a rumor years ago that Wal-Mart was threatening to come out with their own printer line and charge $2 for new cartridges. Sign me up. The monopoly by comity that is the desktop printer industry has taken it's toll and needs to be knocked back in to line with reality. this sort of thing has gone one for long enough. I would call for a break up of the industry, but they are all in on it. How do you break op fifteen companies? It is highway robbery.

It's like a club of rich billionaires that all milk the private tit for more money that they just spend on better milking machines. Isn't it against the law to refill cartridges? Doesn't HP have the patent on their cartridge and refilling said cartridges?

The real solution here is not to use printers any more. I've not gotten Nat to bet on this pony, but I'm working on it. We print things for Elle and we print maps with directions to get places.  I'm not sure what else get printed at the house. I'm tired of ranting on this subject. It is old and done. It's just too bad no one will do anything about it.

It is a green conspiracy I tells ya!!! Oh, wait it is a corporate conspiracy!!! Wait, no. Maybe it is a government conspiracy. No, they couldn't pull anything this complex off without a scandal biting them in the ass. Maybe it is just a bunch of stuff that happened. ... No, that doesn't justify my getting so pissed off about it.  ...

CONSPIRACY!!!!!

No comments: