It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2005-09-29

Behold!!! The Power of Google
What do all those beeps mean at boot? You know, when something is wrong with the computer hardware you get some creepy combination of beeps and then ... silence apart from a mocking fan noise. "Beep ... beep beep beep ... beep ... beep beep beep." Hmmm. 1:3,1:3 What the hell is an A20 gate failure? I love the last line in that post.
It cracks me up. For the sake of this error a motherboard must be replaced. That chip probably costs two cents. It is probably the solder anyway. I'm sure Wiatt went nuts trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with this box. I was trying a USB keyboard. It is a keyboard I use on other machines. This is one of those times where you have to throw up your hands and buy a whole new motherboard. I can't afford that, so I'm junking it. Besides, I busted a couple of the plastic latches that hold the case together. Why do they hide the frigging screws on computer cases? Sorry Wiatt. I'm using the power supply and hard drive.I may also grab a couple fans.
This machine is amazingly patched together. It was once a Gateway. Only the motherboard and the aluminum part of the case remain. I have one other computer to pick up. Hopefully, it is a bit more stable. I will start up another server on some slightly newer hardware. I want to try out Fedora Core 4 anyway.

1 comment:

Celtic Gypsy said...

lots and lots and lots of computers everywhere...one is mine...I am happy with one...and not a single one that Elle can play all of her learning games on...not one for Elle to learn on...