It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-05-08

Creating

Sunday I videoed myself folding cloths. Monday I videoed myself complaining about my stiff back and complaining about work. I put the two together and got at least one comment saying it was a good vlog. This is proof that I have no idea what I'm doing.

Write for fun, not for profit. I'm just plane bad at telling fiction stories. You would think that I would be a good bullshitter, but no.

Write as long or as short a story that tells the story that is trying to be told. Aiming for a length pretty much guarantees editing for length instead of content. Many people think that shortening a story always helps. I'm not so sure.

Deadlines are the only reason anything ever gets published. I would say that deadlines are the only reason we breath or eat. Deadlines are why we pull our head out of water. Deadlines are why we walk quickly across the street. Deadlines are why planes land instead of crashing.

Don't worry about being good. Worry about getting the words on the page. Once the words are written, you can fix them. This translates to shoot the video. No one is going to force you to put it up on the web or using it in your personal movie. Shoot the video. Write the words. Then, go back and fix it.

Share your bad work and good work. Learn. Learn to be better. Learn to laugh at yourself. Learn to yawn in the face of critics.

Turn off the phone. Disconnect your laptop from the wifi. Close the drapes. Do not answer the door, anyone with an emergency will make themselves heard. Get it done.

All of this boils down to one word. Discipline. Good luck. I can't get any of this to work for me.

No comments: