It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-05-15

The battery, a box, and tape

The battery needed changing on the little thermometer thing in the server room. It is a plastic box with a display and a wire that hangs down with a remote sensor. It takes a single AAA battery. That lasts about a year.

Some jerk had just used a glob of clear tape to bolt the box on the front of the cooling unit. The remote sensor hangs down to the intake vent at the bottom. Functional, but you have to remove the device and clear away the tape to change the battery. "What amazing lack of forethought!" "Why would someone do this?"

I ripped the dead box off the front panel and started clearing away the tape while mumbling to myself about poor planning and poor execution.

The tape of course sticks to the front of the display. They used packing tape and the glue bubbles up. I tried alcohol to remove it. That just causes the glue to smear. I didn't get all the glue off the front, but you can read the display.

My first attempt to hang the device was a disaster. The tape stuck to the tape dispenser better than anything else. The tape splits up the middle easier than being cut. Thank God I have a one handed open knife or I would be taped to the front of the cooling unit. My grand suspension bridge based design is a ridiculous failure.

My twenty first attempt to hang the thermometer was what I am calling a success. It looks worse now than it did before. You still can't change the battery without taking the whole thing down. There will be just as much tape stuck to the front of the device. My hands smelled like that glue on the tape for half the day.

Fixed.

No comments: