It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-03-02


Linux VM

At work, I intend to switch my primary machine from linux to Windows. It has become untenable to use Linux on our network. The way we have everything set up does not make it worth while. I cannot get to places on the network that I need to browse while using linux.
I will still support linux boxes. I will still have linux on my system to use as I need. Dual boot drives me batty so I intend to create virtual machines as needed to perform linux tasks. My primary system will have the dual screens hooked up.
If this works out, I intend to put machines in front of people that do the same. I'm not going to get in to how our network is set up, but let me say, that providing virtual machines would cut down on the total number of machines we need just to get our day to day work done.
At home, I will use linux. Nothing changes there. If anything, I will use a Windows VM or Wine to get windows types of tasks done as I do now. I have no windows VM, but they are legal for experimentation.
This will change how I do my blog notes. I normally jot down some HTML notes at work and email them home. I then take the raw HTML code and hone it in to the magnificent prose you experience here. (stop laughing) In windows, I will want to use a GUI editor. Surely I will not leave it to a text editor. Maybe.
I have wondered for years how I ever got along without multiple desktops on Windows. It took me all of five minutes to get used to using desktops to keep track of my place and my needs. I found a software called finestra  that gives me similar functionality on Windows. It is a bit buggy, but it seems to work OK.
This isn't really something I want to do. It is something that I'm cornered in to doing. It is just something that will make my job that much easier to me.

No comments: