It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-03-29

Again!

What is wrong with me? I have forgotten my thumb drive again. I put it in the computer at home. I synchronized my podcasts to it. I then shut the computer down and left it in the USB plug. I do this far too often. It isn't like I'm using one of the USB plugs on the back of the computer. How can I make myself remember to grab the frigging thing as I stand up? I can't tie it to myself because I'll pull the whole computer off the table. I do this at least once a week. I've tried to get myself to perform a pocket check on my way out the door. Now I'll have to listen to music all day. BAH!

You know, this leads me to a million dollar idea. I need a double device. One bit you leave stapled to part of your backpack. There USB key drive has the corresponding ping device. If the two devices get more than some preset distance apart, they both raise hell and make themselves heard. Bet it would sell to the older generations like myself.

There has got to be a device like this out there. ... searching ...

  • Key-clapper door-hickeys. No.
  • Software that will gripe if you log out and still have your key plugged in. No.
  • Software that alerts if the USB is unplugged. No.
  • Software that bricks you USB if someone tries to hack it. No.
  • Proximity locking mechanisms, like the ones in all the new cars. Closest thing yet, but no.

Looks like it is up to me. That is a damn shame. I'm far too lazy to be left to this sort of task. The world cannot wait on me for this important device. Surely it or something that would work exists already. I'm hitting the question with the best search criteria.

No comments: