It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-05-31

Yum on Torrent

I looked around and it doesn't look like any one has kicked the idea of adding the abilities of bittorrent to Yum. Yum will use all kinds of network connectivities to obtain files for software version management. I believe you can use http, ftp, most any kind of file sharing, and local files for Yum repositories. I have to update my Fedora 7 box and I just know every one and their brother is going to try to do it at the same time because it just came out. All those other forms of file sharing get pounded worse the more people who try to access them at the same time. bittorrent is the other way round. Bittorrent works better the more people who dive in at the same time. It just sounds like a great option. I'm not sure how it would work. you would need a repository of torrent links and servers. The downloads would have to happen in the background over night for example. The RPMs would need to be shared over the torrent connection, eating up a bit of bandwidth. Even 1k of bandwidth would greatly affect availability. Oh, well. It is just a thought.

No comments: