It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-05-30

Separation of work and home

I want a constitutional amendment for separation of work and home. I want a set of rules that say what I do at home can't get me fired. If I want to pose for nude pictures so  be it. If I want to blog about my boss, so be it. I can only be on call half the time I'm not at work. There must be realistic deadlines that do not include 24/7 requirements. If I'm working for 3 months on a job site, I need 3 months at home on 40 hours a week (or whatever the time limit is) If I work over time, I get paid time and a half regardless of what I do or who I do it for.

I'm sure there are a million other rules that could be added to something like this amendment. I can't work out the details. I get tired of companies telling employees that said employees represent the company even in their home lives and the employees will be punished for exorcising their freedom of speech rights that affect the company. But hey, that's the way it is. It is not going to change. I understand the rules from the company's point of view. I will comply (boss). I'm not even thinking of my current company. It was the huge corporation that pissed me off. It was some corporate decree NPR mentioned that set this rant off.

In Japan there is an unwritten rule that anything said in the bar after work stays in the bar after work. I like that rule. It is not freedom of speech, but it can get an otherwise missed message across to the boss.

No comments: