It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-05-14

Pipers are special

The Piper's Lament
Approved for Design, the flowsheet read
'There will be no more changes', the boss he said.
So design I did the pumps with speed,
The voice in my head I did not heed.
The plot was tight, the stresses great,
I couldn't stop, I can't be late.
Sweating blood, the pressure is on,
Go home at dark, return at dawn.
For days on end the scene remained,
Then mechanical says 'The pumps have changed!'
The pumps anew just wouldn't fit,
The whole design is a piece of sh!t.
So once again my morale was low,
The voice in my head said I told you so.

Pipers are very special people. They make a lot of money based on what they know. There is no degree for it. There is only learning by doing. Most of them come from the oil fields. They learn by getting their hands dirty. They learn by crawling around on pipes. They learn what actually works, imagine that. They are good old boys. They are hillbillies. They are red necks. They drive big trucks and they might use an ATV to go get the mail. They are not stupid. They are not careless. They are needed. They are free.

And, they suffer from knowing they are smarter than their degreed bosses.

No comments: