It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2007-02-12

Computers Suck
Nat's computer died. It made a "ieieieieeieieieieiei" noise when she turned it on last and then quit. I suspect the power supply, but when I replaced it that didn't work. It is not an identical power supply, but what are you going to do. The computer is an eMachines. I've heard nothing but nightmares about the brand. It is out of warranty. Basically we are screwed.
If I have to replace the motherboard in Nat's machine, I fear I will have to buy a new copy of the OS. This is because of some recent Slash Dot articles that basically complain about exactly that. You have got to be kidding me. It is no wonder they are so cheap. They suck. I've heard warnings for years not to buy them. I didn't have any say in this purchase. I'll have say in any subsequent purchases.
Nat has been using my computer. This is kind of cool. She has been using my machine for a couple of days now and her only complaint is that it is slow and some videos will not play off the net. There are a bunch of plugins that wont work either. I can occasionally get Java to work in Firefox under Linux, but it is hit and mis.
Pretty soon Elle will need her own computer. i should have one running right now. I'm just lost for an OS. I can't get the drive in the machine that we have for Elle to work. Something about missing bits here and there. I refuse to buy another copy of Windows for both Nat and Elle. That is just not going to happen. I would be rewarding Microsoft for making shitty OS software. I'm just going to have to figure things out.
I would love to put Linux on both machines. Nat wants Windows features. Elle needs children's software. There are no titles for kids that I'm aware of for Linux. That means Windows in both cases. It makes me sick. I've never gotten any program of any substance to work under Wine or Crossover Office. Those packages are still in the "play with it until it works" stage. I don't have time for that crap. I need it to work out of the box.
I cannot really blame developers for not supporting the "other OS". Even developing for Mac is a pain in the ass. If it requires X amount of effort to develop a package for Windows. It will take X *1.5 to develop for Windows and Mac. It will take X * 2.2 to develop for Windows, Mac and Linux. It will take X * 2.8 to develop for Windows, Mac, Linux and OS/2.
You have to not only redevelop parts of the program. You have to rethink what you are doing in so many cases. Then, you have to have the same features on all the platforms to keep from getting sued. Some features are a snap on one system and a pain in the ass on others.
The world of software development is glad that Microsoft controls the vast majority of computers because they have one target to aim at. Now IBM is coming up with a Single Desktop solution to make Windows, Mac and Linux software run seamlessly side by side on one PC.Great. That doesn't salve the problem of developing for each OS unless IBM is the one who wins.
It doesn't fix my problem. I need a computer that Nat can and will use. I need a computer that Elle can and will use. I don't have much money. I barely have enough money to make ends meet. What do you suppose I should do?

No comments: