It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2003-03-31

Work or tedium or time in a cold dark dungeon tomb
All I do every day these days is package software up for distribution on our network. The company I work for has approximately 40,000 employees From WinZip to some piece of junk called FreePipe (it isn't free) we have to bundle them up so they install silently from the network because the management doesn't trust the users to wipe their noses on demand. And, for good reason. The users can't wipe their noses on demand. The users who know what they are doing, or think they know what they are doing, are the worst. I end up doing the same thing every day. The can't use what the vendor put together. WinZip, Microstation, Microsoft Office, and other big name software companies must just not know what they are doing, because the users and management want something different. “Lets move the shortcuts”, “Can we change the default save folder?”, “Why won't this sore on my ass heal?”. It never ends.
I sit there all day and chase DLL errors and disconnected shortcuts. I write Visual Basic Script to move those shortcuts and modify the registry to change the default save folder. I remember when one of the managers asked if I would like to get into software packaging. This was a couple of years ago. I thought it would be interesting and teach me to program. Well, I learned to program VBS. I learned to make faces on the phone while helping a person so I don't jump down their through because they are asking for something stupid that will take my time and not help anyone get their job done.
I don't want to package software. I always wanted to be . . . a lumberjack, I mean a programmer, with my best code guide by my side, leeping from project to project. . .

Oh I'm a programmer yes sir-y.
I'm a lousy code monkey.

I fall out of bed, I write some code.
I get dressed to meet the bos.

I lie to the client about deadlines.
Because, really they are lost

. . . (I'm going to have to finish this one sometime)

No comments: