It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2015-06-12

Time at Work

Spoke with one of the long term employees of the new big company I work for about our work cycle.

it just seems like everything is on fire all the time. There is nieve any down time where you can think or make new things happen. Maybe I’m just old or just not as strong as other people. maybe I’m just old fashioned.

The person I spoke with said that our company used to have a cycle of feast and famine, ebbs and flows, ups and downs. This is kind of what I was used to at my last job many years ago.

The modern world demands 100% compression of time. That is, everyone has to get 100% out of every resource just to tread water. It is a sad state of affairs. How do businesses innovate? It seems like noone has time to make the cool stuff happen. Not that I was one of those people. I need the extra time to keep my nose above the waterline.

Sometimes it seems like if you are working a 40 hour week, something is wrong with you. The company assumes you are not at 100% if you don’t put in extra hours.

It is so sad. From my point of view the world is going down hill. All I hear about on the economic news is worker efficiency. To my ears, that says how many hours employers can get our of their employees for free. This just sounds more like thievery than efficiency to me.

There was a time I went to school and didn’t work.There was a time I didn’t work and did not go to school. i made up my mind and prayed that I would be a productive member of society. Well, I’ve done this. Not i ‘m not so sure it was the best thing for me. I was not making enough money to live on. But, I was not so desperetly tired as I am now.

No comments: