It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2015-02-17

Frigging Ubuntu on a laptop on a docking station

Today, I took my Ubuntu laptop off the docking station and went to a meeting. The screen never came up. It stayed black. This has happened to others. As a matter of fact, it happened to one of the other folks in the meeting I was in.

I tried putting it back on the docking station. That didn’t work. I tried hitting a bunch of keys. I got round to escape and something came up. All my desktops were scrambled a  bit, but I was able to get my programs upa enough to take notes for the meeting.

When I got back to my office, however, nothing came back after I put the laptop back on the docking station. I again tried playing with it, but no dice. I had to kill the box and force a reboot.

That’s it!

I will never use this laptop as a laptop again. I took it off wifi and attached it to the docking station. I intend to keep it there and take notes old school with two kinds of dead trees.

I’ve caught myself taking notes on my phone and emailing them to myself. This might be against company policy. It is just freaking convenient. I need an Android or Linux tablet to take notes on. Something that is approved for the company network yet does not require connection to the docking station. The company provides me with a laptop for this reason. It is supposed to cover all the bases.

The way some of the folks get round this is by using Windows or by not connecting their laptop to a docking station. I’m not sure how well or quickly I could do my job just on the laptop. I’m a special case.

From what I hear the official company policy on this sort of thing is something like “Make sure you can do your job.” That means make it work myself.

It used to be that Linux didn’t work on most laptops. That is, there was no effort to make or test drivers for laptop equipment. Thus, It didn’t work. Sound cards were specifically vulnerable to error on laptops using Linux up to middle of last decade.

No comments: