It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2014-12-02

Updating work machine to Ubuntu

Made the switch to Ubuntu at work .So far so good. Still working on some of the setup. Only took about 3 hours to get  to a point I could get some work done. Still playing with the email setup.
...
Many hours later, I’m still plugging away trying to get things to work .As soon as I fix one thing, the next things pops up. Normal stuff. At least I have written most of this stuff down over the years.

There were a couple times today I wanted to toss the computer out the window. Renaming the computer because of a 15 character limit that no one tells you about until hours after you installed is one of the issues that nearly pushed me over the edge. There is just too much information on the net. Too many versions of Ubuntu. Which forum to listen to is a question in itself.

Software
  • Password Gorilla
  • LibreOffice
  • Chromium browser
  • eSpeak
  • Screen command
  • MP3, Flash and some others
  • Video driver update
  • VNC server and viewer

Setup
  • Spending an hour just on getting email and chat up and running
  • Kerberous setup
  • Decktop zoom (Accessability)
  • Password expiration
  • Display settings (5 times)

No comments: