It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-05-20

Rendering troubles

The trouble I have is the lips and words don't always line up in my videos. This is called audio video synchronization. I shot a 20 second long video that is basically me speaking words with lots of the letters "p" and "b" and clapping. This was to just slam my machine with a hundred different ways of generating output video. I went online and tried nearly every suggestion I could find. None of the tricks or workarounds worked for me.

I have narrowed the trouble down to one of three things. A) AMD processor B) Video driver C) Legacy software or settings left over from multiple updates. My laptop does not have the issue. It has an Intel processor, ATI video card and has only been updated once from Ubuntu 11.10 to 12.04.

Kdenlive is the program that I use for editing my videos. This is the program that I have the audio video sync issues with on my desktop at home. I have tried several other packages for the same thing, but they all suck. Kdenlive is one of the few that seems to have made a program that both works and has a usable interface. Every other program has major issues or is not the kind of editor I need. I've tried most of them.

Cinelerra is unwieldy. If you are some sort of professional, you use a Mac for your video editing. For some reason, people think that professionals who use Linux use Cinelerra. I doubt it. The interface blows and the output is buggy. Half the stuff you click on crashes the system.

Openshot really appears to be some offshoot of Kdenlive to me. They look similar. They work similar. I could probably use the interface of Openshot without much effort because I'm used to Kdenlive. However, the interface of Openshot looks to be a simplified less complex interface. That is all well and good, but I can't find some of the settings and tools that I'm used to in Kdenlive. Openshot appears to be some kind of 3D animation tool as well. I'm not ready for that sort of thing to be honest.

Avidemux is great for a linear editor. It has always worked. It converts, chops, modifies, and does great at mas corrections. I would love to use this program with the addition of multiple track editing, also known as nonlinear editing.

Audacity is an audio editing program. It is so good that I wish the people who made this program would make a video editor with the same feel and functionality.

Why do I fight with Linux on this subject? Well, I've been able to get pretty much every other genera of software to work just fine on Linux with the exception of games. It turns out I have to add video editors to this list. It needs to just work. I don't need the aggravation of every upgrade and security touch up killing my software for three weeks. I need a video editor that is more than just a proof of concept. I need one that just works, every day.

This is a big selling point of Linux. it works. It doesn't have the issues of a million proprietary vendors fighting each other instead of working with one another to make a buck. The idea behind open source is you can step in, look at the code and either fix it yourself or at least contribute to the package via educated complaining.

  • Tried everything
    • Different video driver
    • Separate sound and video
    • Every kind of rendering available
  • Tried other programs. The trouble is, many use the same MLT rendering engine. Many video programs just don't work.
  • Combination of Nvidia video card and AMD processor I bet

Field Data
Title No more kung fu theater hopefully
Description
Hopefully the audio and video will synchronize better from now on. It turns out the MLT (rendering) engine I use does not play well with the hardware I have on my desktop. My laptop works though. So that's what I use from now on.
Also fit a 5.5 foot table in the back of a 2005 Carola.
* Twitter https://twitter.com/#!/zhsy00001
* Blog http://plastickelly.blogspot.com
* YouTube RSS http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/users/zhsy00001/uploads
Tags audio video sync synchronization issues kdenlive mlt hardware issue houston texas "canon elph 300"
Link Link

No comments: