It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-02-21

Someone's new iPhone

A gaggle of coworkers were in the hall talking about a new iPhone one of them just bought. The guy who got the iPhone was not an Apple fan. That is, he didn't care that it was from Apple. He wanted a capable phone and decided that was the most capable.

They spoke of incompatibilities between Google aps and Apple phones. They covered automatic picture uploads and issues that might pop up because of such foolishness. They went over hack attacks and wondered why someone hasn't attacked the phones. They pondered the security that the phones have to cover you if the phone gets stolen.

I didn't hear anything about who is watching everything they do as they move around. Who is listening in on their online conversations that are so not private. No one complained about tracked purchases or targeted advertising. No one threw up their hands or shook a fist at the heavens shouting "Hands off my friend list!!!"

They seemed worried about some things and oblivious of others. If you want a capable phone, you are locked in to a couple companies to get the services everyone is looking for. There is just very little competition. I chose Android and a cheap Android at that. I figure, if I'm going to by buy in to Big Brother, I'm going to spend as little money as possible. That's just me. Even if I had bags of money falling in to my lap, I would be cheap. I'm not the only one around here who is like this.

No comments: