It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2012-01-17

Broken

This evening, I get to put up a video done entirely on my laptop. Hope all goes well. Kdenlive is broken on my desktop. This is going to be annoying because of having to bend over to use the laptop screen. It isn't a very happy posture for me because of my eyesight. What happened is a broken update.

I cannot tell if it is just my desktop or if others are having the same issue. Thus, I killed the update links for Kdenlive on my laptop before it performed an update. Kdenlive is still working because I rendered the video from Sunday on the laptop. I ended up losing some links. I ended up having issues with some of the output. No big deal.

Something I'm going to have to do is move several files over to the laptop to make the videos properly. Hopefully it will all work from a USB key. The rip time is about the same.

It is the rendering portion of Kdenlive that is broken. It just says "Rendering crashed". Helpful. There should be a law about useful errors in software. I'm thinking an international treaty is in order. I've tried to reinstall everything. I've tried hunting down a fix online. No one else is complaining. It must be my install at issue. I plan on dealing with it a gain this weekend. I've spent enough brain power on it to this point. I need to just get some videos out and not worry about it. Thank goodness the laptop is working.

2 comments:

Scott Waldron said...

It isn't just you. My rendering stopped working too. I think it's a MLT issue that many of the Linux video editors are based on. Still trying to figure out a way to fix things. I'd rather not have to use my (windows) laptop for video.

Scott Waldron said...

Update: Looks like you got it working, but for everyone else...

MLT 7.7 is the problem. What I did was switch to the release PPA of Kdenlive (probably not necessary, but don't want to stay on the dev PPA).

More importantly I opened up synaptic package manager and forced MLT and MELT to version 7.6. Chances are when MLT and MELT are forced, synaptic will force you to uninstall any programs that rely on it. To force a package to a version it's in the "Package>>Force Version..." menu item.

That's a lot easier than compiling from source or editing code files to use a custom version of MLT outside of the normal location.