It wasn't me. You can't prove anything.


2011-10-26

Partial update bullshit

Last night, Ubuntu said there was an update ready to install. I click go. Then this window pops up saying there is a partial update, do I want to go ahead and install the partial update. Never, never, NEVER do a partial update of Ubuntu.

It turns out that the partial update was really a problem with dependencies. Whoever (whomever?) put together the repositories that day had screwed up and put in some 32 bit links in the 64 bit dependency tree. This threw my machine in to a anaphylactic shock. These toxic updates caused my machine to convulse and choke on it's own libraries.

I had to identify "held" packages. I had to identify a bunch of broken packages. By broken, I mean they were not the version the system wanted or they did not have the proper dependencies to support them. I had to remove some packages and update others manually to get the system in to a state where it would start taking care of itself again. I had to undo a reverted package. I don't know how that happened. I had to go through the whole install and configure of Kdenlive again. this is no trivial task because I have to make sure I have the correct development repos setup. Blah.

So, I'm sweating putting up a video last night the whole time I'm trying to get my machine running. I'm making plans of getting a copy of Ubuntu and performing a fresh install.

At about 22:15, I started editing my video. I had it up just before midnight. I got to bed before midnight. I think my head didn't hit the pillow before I was snoring. Yet, the act of getting the computer back up and putting the video up made me feel so much better that I slept like a baby. I did wake up three minutes before my alarm went off to look at the clock. That was annoying.

No comments: